This is the Marantz 4270 Quadraphonic 4 channel receiver or Quadradial as they called it. It of course would also play in 2 channel stereo. It was one of Marantz’s top of the line quad receivers in its day. It was introduced in 1974 and retailed at around $700.00. It has 8 sets of speaker connections and puts out 70 watts per channel in stereo and 25 watts per channel in quad mode. It weighs just over 40 pounds.
The Marantz 4270 also uses the WC-22 wood case. The wood case makes quite a difference in the final sale price of these units these days. A fully restored, fine condition 4270 with wood case recently sold for $1200.00. Without the wood case and unrestored they will typically sell for $500 to $600 depending upon their condition.
The 4270 featured:
- STEREO 2 + QUADRADIAL 4 RECEIVER
- FRONT AND REAR HEADPHONE JACKS
- MAIN VOLUME CONTROL
- BASS / MID / TREBLE CONTROLS FOR FRONT AND REAR
- VARIABLE MATRIX DIMENSION CONTROL
- MODE SELECTOR – SQ-DECODER / VARI-MATRIX / DISCRETE / 2 CHANNEL / MONO
- SELECTOR – TAPE 2, TAPE 1, CD-4 AUX, PHONO, FM, AM
- DOLBY NR SELECTOR – RECORD 1, RECORD 2, OFF, PLAY, DOLBY FM
- MONITOR BUTTON – SOURCE / TAPE
- TAPE SELECTOR BUTTON – 1 / 2
- METER SELECTOR BUTTON – L / R
- PLAY CAL KNOBS – L / R
- RECORD LEVEL KNOBS – L / R
- 400 Hz TONE BUTTON
- BALANCE CONTROLS – FRONT / REAR
- FADER CONTROL – FRONT / REAR
- HI FILTER BUTTON
- LOUDNESS CONTOUR BUTTON
- FM MUTING BUTTON
- SPEAKER SELECTOR BUTTONS – MAIN / REMOTE
- GYRO-TOUCH TUNER
- SIGNAL STRENGTH METER
- FM TUNING METER
- 8 PAIRS OF SPEAKER OUTPUTS
- POWER MODE SWITCH – 70 WATTS X 2 / 25 WATTS X 4
- AC OUTLETS – 1-UNSWITCHED, 1-SWITCHED
- PRE OUT – MAIN IN JACKS FOR FRONT AND REAR
- FM QUADRADIAL OUTPUT
- REMOTE CONTROL CONNECTOR (DIN)
- MUTING LEVEL CONTROL
- AM FERRITE BAR ANTENNA + EXTERNAL ANTENNA CONNECTIONS
- CHASSIS GROUND
- REAR PANEL FUSE
Available on Ebay
Complete Professional Restoration Service For Marantz 4270 Stereo/Quad Receiver
Buy It Now on eBay
Marantz 4230 4240 4270 Quad Receiver Volume Potentiometer 50k linear loudness
Buy It Now on eBay
8 thoughts on “Marantz 4270 Quad”
I still own a 4270, and it is still working just fine. I bought the unit new in 1977, and also have 4 Infinity Quantum 1 speakers I use with it. The other components are just a combination of Pioneer(dual cassette deck), a JVC quartz lock turntable, and a Pioneer CD player. I love my system, even though it dosen’t match, but all works together just fine. The newest component (CD player) was bought in the early 90s. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?
Sounds nice! I’m thinking of getting one.
Doskonały dźwięk, determinuje w klasie takie urządzenia jak 2270 czy 2275,
4270 zdecydowanie nie ma sobie równych.
I inherited my 4270, with the wooden case, from my father-in-law. It required some work by my tech, and I upgraded the panel lighting with LEDs. I’ve never experimented with the quad mode. It performs very well with my B&W 220s and M&K sub.
benny yo tanbien tengo un 4270 y no lo cambio por niguna otra marca siempre e sido fanatico de marantz no ay mejor sonido
Is this Benny of the Baltimore Orioles ?
I am looking for a decoder module for a Marantz 4270 to be able to run the quadraphonic part of this unit. If someone knows where to find this piece please let me know. I will be of course looking on ebay but I would again appreciate any input as well as I am looking for the treble pot assembly for a Pioneer SX-1050 Thanks so much Andrew
Um som suave que em alguns momentos faz lembrar um equipamento valvulado. E pode ter certeza: seus 70 watts são mais que suficientes para qualquer reserva sonora. Até mesmo seu modelo inferior, o 4230, surpreende com sua capacidade.
Aqui tenho um ligado com um par de caixas Gradiente Concert II, e seu headroom é maravilhoso, principalmente para uso com músicas instrumentais.